Throughout life, there’s going to be challenges and hard times, but there’s also going to be some magical times. You never know what tomorrow holds, so you’ve got to keep working, grinding, and perfecting yourself and never stop learning.
In today’s episode, Ashley and I talk about the world of basketball, and what it means to dedicate your life to this sport. As a tribute to Kobe, she also speaks about their relationship on the court and as friends, and she encourages all of us to rise and shine and crush life.
Ashley Battle is currently a Basketball Operations Associate at NBA. She started playing basketball at an early age, and when she was in fifth grade she was the only girl on the boys’ basketball team. She spent her high school years in a boarding school in Wheeling, West Virginia, where she set school records in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. She decided to go, for college, at the University of Connecticut, following most of her friends there, and she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Marketing and Economics.
So, listen to Episode 33 of Deposit That, where Ashley shares some valuable life lessons she learned on the court.
Questions I ask:
- What was like being in Kobe Bryant’s presence? Was it different than anything else you’ve ever been around? (02:40)
- How did you wind up at UConn? (04:01)
- In women’s basketball, is it common to leave early and go to WNBA or is it kind of like, you do your four years, you graduate, and then move on? (14:23)
- Do you think that the practices more so than the games, prepared you for real life? (18:42)
- What’s one thing you want to leave everybody with, to Deposit That in their memory bank? (39:00)
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Ashley’s perception of life changed after moving out of Pittsburgh. (07:11)
- How Ashley recovered from an injury she suffered in her freshman year. (12:21)
- The similarities and differences between being in a basketball team vs being in a corporate team. (20:15)
- Ashley’s experience of playing for the New York Liberty. (30:39)
- Ashley’s current role in the NBA and what the future holds for her. (35:14)