“Regardless of what you’re trained for, you can do a lot of different things in life.”
This is the motto that Michael Beattie followed his entire life and he indeed changed careers from detailing to the fashion industry and to the hedge funding and hard money space, without letting anyone put any boundaries in his way. In his opinion, every deal is a story and every trade is different.
On today’s episode, my guest is Michael Beattie, Partner and Chief Investment Officer at Tradex Realty. He focuses his time on creating portfolios with specific strategy and performance targets. He’s been a successful private investor for over 30 years, managing family fund of hedge funds including long/short equity, derivatives, index hedging and commodity futures.
In this episode, Michael and I discuss his evolution throughout his lifetime, his professional experience and his methods of getting things done. He shares valuable advice for young people who want to enter the trading space and also, the business strategies that have worked for him.
So, listen to Episode 9 of Deposit That, where we discuss the past, the present and the future of the market.
Questions I ask:
- Talk to us about your evolution from Eastchester to fashion and to Hedge funding. (00:02:36)
- You are very disciplined and very structured. What do you attribute that discipline to? (00:12:40)
- What would you say was the defining moment in your career that really took you from being with the masses and put you on that all-star level? (00:15:00)
- What advice would you have for somebody that wants to get into the hedge funds space? (00:25:53)
- Have you ever made a decision out of desperation, before in your life, personally or professionally, that you regret? (00:48:03)
- When you ignore the crowd and you eliminate the noise, what’s the one thing you want people to take away? (00:58:51)
In this episode you will learn:
- How Michael managed to pay for his college with his first business. (00:05:25)
- About Michael’s trading style. (00:22:41)
- Which were the best trades Michael has ever made. (00:30:43)
- The reasons why it’s harder for young traders to enter the trading business. (00:31:06)
- About Michael’s experience in the hard money space. (00:39:09)
- Michael’s view on real estate and equities for the next 24 months. (00:55:10)
Connect with Michael:
Michael Beattie: “This was perfect storm where corporations needed to take the monies, they parked in Money Market funds to pay taxes (Sept. 15). At the same
banks were lowering reserves they keep in the same instruments. Mostly technical and no real economic effect.” time
Jeff VanNote: “Do you see this happening again? Does this mean there is a capital shortage?”
Michael Beattie: “Fed is injecting 75 B tonight so if the shortfall was 50B things should quiet down tonight.”